D&D, FoundryVTT, and Dungeon Crawl Classics – Week in Review 05/23/2021
Welcome to The Alfred Effect Week in Review for the week ending May 23, 2021.
- The Spring semester has wrapped up and today marks the first day of the Summer term. I’ve got a fairly full plate this summer with two classes each for both the first and second Summer terms.
- I took some time to update my Solo Roleplaying Game Resources page with a section on random generators. I’ve
Double Tome Studios
- I’ve been struggling a bit lately to nail down what rule set, if any, to base some of our upcoming projects around. Each has pros and cons to it and some systems lend themselves to a certain vibe more naturally. For digital releases, there is certainly the opportunity to convert content from one rule set to another, but even then you are still going to have to prioritize.
- Some of the systems that we have been looking at:
- D&D 5e
- Castles and Crusades
- 13th Age
- Dungeon Crawl Classics
- Swords & Wizardry
- Would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
- The Elder Minion and I attempted to participate in REAVER CON I as a kickoff to our DCC Legacy careers. However, the session was cancelled at the last minute, foiling our plans.
- I recently discovered the DCC RPG Roundup community on Discord and was able to get in a Legacy game of Portal to the Stars. This was my first time playing a DCC funnel and I had a blast with 2 of my 4 characters surviving.
- The Elder Minion is leaning a bit more towards D&D 5e, so I think we will focus on trying to get in the next modules for Adventurer’s League.
- My 5e campaign with the Elder Minion and Lord Oberon has a few sessions under the belt now and is proving quite enjoyable. The campaign is very focused on exploration of the frontier and discovery of the unknown. It is also serving as a test bed for some ideas I’m working on for various Double Tome Studios projects. Exciting!
- I’ve been running a semi-regular game for the Elder Minion and the Minor Minion using a mix of content from The Fantasy Trip and Dark City Games. We’ve transitioned completed to Legends of the Ancient World for our ruleset and it has been a blast.
- I was able to work on some assembly when my Relicblade, Storms of Kural Kickstarter order arrived in the mail. I’m really digging these miniatures and I look forward to getting a game in soon.
- I’m making an effort to expand my horizons a bit each week and discover other gaming blogs or great sources of content. To that end, I will be featuring one or more different sites each week for you to check out and add to your own list of content to follow.
- One of my favorite publishers, Jon Brazer Enterprises, has kicked off a Patreon as a way to help determine the direction and sponsor a series of blog posts.
- I’m very excited to see more content for 13th Age heading our way as it is a system that I am really interested in exploring further.
- My reading journey through of Livy’s History of Roman via the Loeb Classical Library continues to progress well. I just wrapped up Volume 2 and will be starting Volume 3 (Book V) as my June reading project.
- To round out the last week of May, I’m taking a side trek into a fascinating exercise in experimental archaeology with Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor: Unraveling the Linothorax Mystery by Gregory S. Aldrete, Scott M. Bartell, and Alicia Aldrete. I first discovered Dr. Gregory Aldrete via his engaging lectures on Roman history through The Great Courses. This work lays out background on a type of armor used by many ancient Mediterranean civilizations that was constructed from linen. Because no copies of the armor survive to modern times, it has proven a challenge for histories to study. The authors set out on a multi-year study to try to reconstruct what the armor may have been like based on the scant details available in the historical record.
- Really hoping to make Strike Force: Shantipole a priority in the coming weeks to bring the Star Wars RPG mini-campaign to a wrap.
- Looking forward to trying out Relicblade and the two-player mini-campaign.
Latest posts by Alfred Bonnabel (see all)
- Cypher System RPG Part 1 – Setup - September 5, 2021
- Star Wars RPG Part 4 – Campaign Wrap-up - August 8, 2021
- Dark City Games New Official YouTube Channel - August 6, 2021